My Favorite Sunscreens
Wearing sunscreen is super important all year long; and ESPECIALLY during the hot and sunny months of summer when we spend so much time outside. I know you always hear about the benefits of sunscreen on twitter, in your favorite magazines, from your mom, etc.; but if you’re still not slathering it on every day, here are the top 5 reasons you should be wearing it:
1. The ozone layer is depleting and your body needs shielding from harmful rays.
2. Skin cancer rates are on the rise and sunscreen has been proven to decrease the development of skin cancer.
3. It helps to prevent facial brown spots and skin discolorations.
4. It also helps to reduce the appearance of facial red veins and blotchiness.
5. It slows down the development of wrinkled, premature aging skin.
Hopefully at least one of those reasons will persuade you! Before I head outside, I always lather suntan lotion on my face, chest, neck, arms and legs. My mom always reminds me not to forget the chest and neck – they get a ton of sun, show signs of aging quickly and are often missed. I’m also very conscious of making sure Timothy has sunscreen on at all time; children’s skin is much more sensitive to the sun.
There’s a zillion different suntan lotions on the market and trying to figure out which is the right one for you can cause a serious headache. To help make your search a bit easier, below are my top favorite sunscreens:
1) Goddess Garden Organics: This zinc and titanium-based spray sunscreen is certified organic and made using naturally occurring minerals and plant-based ingredients. I LOVE Goddess Garden because they truly do not use any harmful chemicals (even a lot of the organic/natural sunscreens sneak in sodium benzoate which could potentially be harmful in large doses).
2) Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen: Goes on smooth and isn’t too greasy. Made with safe ingredients and even recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. You can find Alba Botanica at your local Vitamin Shoppe.
3) Neutrogena Sport: Good go-to spray when you’re heading out for a run/bike ride and don’t have a lot of time to spend rubbing sunscreen on. Also great for getting those “tough to reach” spots like your back.
4) Trilipiderm Broad Spectrum: I use this one to rub on my neck line and chest, which is an area that gets a lot of sun and is often forgotten. Trilipiderm protects against the drying and damaging effect of the sun on your skin and keeps skin soft. It’s enhanced with Vitamin D, a necessary vitamin required for healthy skin metabolism.
5) Babyganics: Soft, gentle and natural, this is the perfect sunscreen for your little one. This sunscreen has NO PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano-particles, so I feel safe using it on Timothy.
6) Even the Score: Anti-aging sunscreen by Cosmedicine for athlete’s that doesn’t drip at all. I use this one on my face everyday in the summer; whether I’m working out or not, it’s 100% waterproof. I wear it under a tinted sunscreen that acts more like a foundation for me.
7) DNAEGF Renewal Sheer Defense Light: The little tube it comes in is adorable and perfect for throwing in your bag so you can reapply/touch-up your sunscreen all day. I find it’s always good to have sunscreen on hand because there are still those days I rush out the door and forget to put some on my face. I like how this one goes on super smooth and sheer and gives me a good natural glow.
Have you tried any of these sunscreens? What do you think? Let me know what your go-to sunscreen is!
Kristin McGee is a celebrity yoga and Pilates instructor in New York City. She is currently teaching yoga with Peloton. She is the star of over 100 videos, seen in several magazines and tv shows and is a spokeswoman for many brands and causes she believes in. A proud mom to three, she sure keeps herself busy!