How to Make Your Workout More Enjoyable
We ALL struggle with motivating ourself to workout some days. It can be tough when you’re tired, or time is limited, or it’s hot (like the 95 degree weather lately!), it’s that time of the month, or you’re just flat out cranky. When I don’t want to workout I can think of a million excuses not to; but instead I try to focus on the million reasons to workout. I reframe my excuses. For example, if I take an hour to workout, that’s an hour I’m not spending with Timothy. On the other hand, having that time to myself and being a good example by practicing healthy habits makes me a better mother in the long run. When reframing isn’t enough, I have a few tricks I use to get me up and out; and looking forward to my workout. First, I’ll use one, or both of these instant refreshers:
- Aura Cacia Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil is a great natural “pick me up!” Take a sniff and/or put a few drops behind your ears before your workout for a nice boost. If you’re not a morning persona and need to get up early, this is also a good way to wake up your senses and get going in the AM.
- Palmetto Derma Rose Toner: I carry the small 1oz bottle of this in my bag and spritz a little on my face before (and after) a workout. It hydrates and protects your skin from stress and the environment. It also gives you a little boost, it’s very refreshing.
Then, I try to give myself something to look forward to in order to make my workout my enjoyable. Some ways I make my workouts more enjoyable are:
- AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Wireless Headphones: These headphones are my go-to workout buddy when I don’t have an actual buddy to workout with! Working out on your own all the time can get boring, but a good playlist, or podcast will give me something to look forward to. There has been some news popping up recently that suggests using the popular inner-ear earbuds can be damaging to our hearing long term. What’s cool about these headphones is that there is no bud that goes deep into your ear canal – they use a bone conduction technology to transmit audio waves to the inner ears through the skull, bypassing the eardrums completely. These headphones are also wireless, which if you haven’t tried wireless headphones, I highly recommend them! Whether your running, biking, or lifting weights, not having that annoying wire dangling is a game changer.
- Workout Dates: Workout dates are my all time favorite. When you’re committed to meeting someone you are less likely to bail on your workout. They also kill two birds with one stone – you get to catch up with your friends AND get an awesome workout in.
- Set a Goal and Track: Have weekly and daily mini goals for your fitness and utilize a gadget to help track them. It’s amazing how motivating just seeing the #’s on a screen can be. I love the new Sona Caeden fitness watch, or a heart rate monitor paired with the MyZone HR Bra. Heart rate monitors are great for really helping your push yourself hard – I think of it like being in a group class and pushing yourself to beat the person next to you, but instead you’re pushing to beat yourself!
- Add a little SPARKLE & Inspiration! These convertible wristbands/hairties by Monument Jewelry are great motivators. If you need a remind, you can find it right on your wrist (or in your hair).
- Try something new! If you can get to the beach take a surf lesson, or go paddle boarding. Try a new style of yoga, or the latest group class in your area that you just haven’t found the time to sign up for. Rent a bike and take a spin around your neighborhood. Or get one of these new beauties from Electra Bikes:
How cute is this bike!? Now that has to inspire you to get moving! There’s a zillion ways to exercise and it’s good for you physically and mentally to change things up every once in a while.
When all else fails, pick a post-workout reward and set your eyes on the prize. For example, jog to a local coffee shop and treat yourself to your favorite cup of coffee; or to a local bakery and get your favorite pastry. Just don’t over due it with the treats, and try not to get in the habit of rewarding yourself after every workout. The endorphins and good energy should be your everyday rewards for getting a workout in 🙂
Kristin McGee is a celebrity yoga and Pilates instructor in New York City. She is currently teaching yoga with Peloton. She is the star of over 100 videos, seen in several magazines and tv shows and is a spokeswoman for many brands and causes she believes in. A proud mom to three, she sure keeps herself busy!