How to Stay Motivated This Fall
I am always looking for new ways to stay motivated especially as a busy mom of three. Fall is here and it’s time to embrace the cooler weather. As the season change, we can adjust as well. Changing up our routine and keeping things interesting can help us stick to our routine.
Tips to Keep Motivated This Fall
- Make an action plan- Set up manageable goals for yourself. While you should always keep your long term goal in mind, making small victories is key. Set goals weekly instead of monthly, that way you don’t lose focus when things aren’t happening as quickly as they should. Remember to write your goals down and revise them.
- Try something new- Try a different workout or yoga class that you have always wanted to test out to keep things interesting. Experimenting with different pieces of equipment, such as kettlebells, exercise balls, etc. will help you to discover new exercises too.
- Use a support system- Work out with friends or family. This keeps you motivated while being able to socialize. You will also be more inclined to show up and get things done if someone else is depending on you. You can also join a group class or sports league. With COVID-19 you can support each other virtually; or set up safe pods and wear a mask when you meet for a soccer game or brisk outdoor walk or jog.
- Use Extrinsic motivation- When you have reached one of your goals, reward yourself. Whether it is a massage or a little shopping spree. You can even reward yourself daily after a workout or task by taking a long bath.
- Eat more high-quality fats! You may find yourself reaching for more sweets or comfort foods this time of year. If you eat healthy fats such as nuts, avocados, olive oil, and coconut oils, you’re less likely to crave candy or junk food. Healthy fats along with proteins and complex carbs, fruits, and veggies nourish you and give you the energy you need for your workouts.
- Adjust with Daylight- As daylight change, you may be inclined to change the best time for you to work out. You may find that your normal evening workout isn’t as easy as doing morning work, or vice versa. Allow yourself to test out different times of the day to find what works best for you.
7. Always remember your end result- This is all to improve your health and well-being, never forget that. Your overall health- mentally, physically, and emotionally- is a top priority. This will help you live a longer, more fulfilling life.
I hope these motivational tips help. Feel free to share what works for you. Let’s stay motivated together and encourage each other to keep fit this Fall!
Kristin McGee is a celebrity yoga and Pilates instructor in New York City. She is currently teaching yoga with Peloton. She is the star of over 100 videos, seen in several magazines and tv shows and is a spokeswoman for many brands and causes she believes in. A proud mom to three, she sure keeps herself busy!