How to Make Your Own Healthy Bars
Protein bars can be an awesome pick me up or snack or even meal replacement if they have enough calories and are nutrient-dense. Protein bars can also be a bit expensive. Check out my most recent post if you don’t have time in the kitchen or want to taste a variety of healthy pre-made bars on the market.
If you want to experiment in the kitchen though or are on a tight budget, you may want to experiment with making your own!
How do you make protein bars? They are actually quite simple and you can vary the ingredients to keep coming up with new variations on the recipe below:
- In a large bowl stir together nut butter and your choice of milk.
- Add protein powder and stir until smooth.
- Add oats and almonds. Stir until all combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a 13″ x 8. 5″ (33 x 22cm) dish lined with parchment paper.
Cut into 12 squares. Keep the bars refrigerated or frozen if you want to save them longer.
- You can add chocolate chips, coconut flakes, chia seeds, flax seeds, dried cherries, raisins, or anything else your heart desires. If you want to try some mix-ins add in step 3 or once the bars are cooled you can drizzle melted chocolate over them and place back in the refrigerator until the chocolate is solid.
Let me know what you think if you make them and share some of your favorite protein bar recipes with me too!
Kristin McGee is a celebrity yoga and Pilates instructor in New York City. She is currently teaching yoga with Peloton. She is the star of over 100 videos, seen in several magazines and tv shows and is a spokeswoman for many brands and causes she believes in. A proud mom to three, she sure keeps herself busy!