Gluten-free Protein Rich Bread
If you lead an active lifestyle, getting enough protein in your diet is highly recommended. Protein is very important for the body, it keeps you feeling satisfied, has been shown to boost one’s metabolism, and is required for the repair and growth of muscle tissue. For many vegetarians and children, it can be challenging to get enough protein in to the diet. This gluten-free protein bread can be a great option and super tasty way to incorporate more protein in to the diet.
The main ingredient used in this bread is quinoa, a seed that is eaten as a grain. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is high in protein, providing you with approximately 24 g per uncooked cup. Also, unlike many plant based foods, quinoa is a complete protein source which means that it has all of the 9 essential amino acids required by the body. In addition to protein, this bread is bursting with fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, thanks to the vast nutrient content of the other ingredients used.
The bread’s sweet flavor means that it can be enjoyed by both adults and children at any time of the day. This bread is especially great for you if you are unable to eat ordinary bread due to gluten sensitivity.
2 cups of raw quinoa
1/3 of a cup of chia seeds
1/4 of a cup of olive or coconut oil
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
A pinch of sea salt
1/2 a cup of water
1 cup of mixed nuts, seeds and dried fruit of your choice that has been coarsely chopped
1. Begin by placing the quinoa into a large bowl and covering with plenty of water. Allow it to soak overnight, and then drain the following day.
2. Combine the chia seeds with half a cup of water and allow it to sit for 15 – 20 minutes. It will form a glue-like gel that will help to bind all of the ingredients together.
3. Add the drained quinoa, soaked chia seeds, oil, salt, baking soda, lemon and water to a food processor. If you are going to be preparing many loaves, you will require a standard sized food processor, but for the quantities mentioned in this recipe, even a miniature one will do.
4. Run the processor for 3 – 4 minutes, until all of the ingredients are finely processed and well combined.
5. Line a rectangular baking tin with greaseproof paper and pour in the contents of the food processor. Then evenly mix in the chopped-up ingredients and smooth the top with a spoon.
6. Place the baking tray in an oven that has been preheated to 160 °C and bake for roughly one and a half hours.
The bread can be eaten on its own or with a topping of your choice. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Kristin McGee is a celebrity yoga and Pilates instructor in New York City. She is currently teaching yoga with Peloton. She is the star of over 100 videos, seen in several magazines and tv shows and is a spokeswoman for many brands and causes she believes in. A proud mom to three, she sure keeps herself busy!