Things to do when you just can’t POO!
Between holiday travel, stress, nerves, having to use the relative’s restrooms and eating more food than usual, it’s not uncommon to get a little backed up this time of year! Before you reach for an unhealthy laxative, try some of these gentler approaches first and see if it can help relieve your holiday distress.
1. Twists-Yoga twists are known digestive aids. Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you, hug one knee in to your chest and press the opposite elbow outside the knee. Inhale lift out of your lower back and sit tall, exhale twist deeper in the direction of your bent knee. You can also do this lying on your back.
2. Belly Roll–A great yoga remedy I learned years ago on a yoga retreat with Nevine Michaan in Belize. Many of us were having problems getting our bowels moving and she showed us how to use a yoga blanket (you can also use a towel) to speed things up down below. Here’s a video to show you how:
3. Essential Oil–Essential oils can help with so many things, including digestion. One of my favorite brands, 21 Drops, makes a specific oil called DIGEST that contains cardamon, ginger and sweet orange to help your digestive system get back on track. Rub a little on your palms and belly as often as you need. 21 drops is the perfect little lipstick size roller to stash with you and travel with.
4. Get Moving–Active Sun Salutations that include jump backs, jumping jacks, a light jog will all get the digestive system going. When you feel a bit backed up, you may not feel like moving too much; but it’s one of the best ways to help things get through our body.
5. RELAX–When we are all bound up and stressed, it leads to constipation. One of the easiest ways to get things moving again, is to let go! Sit and watch your breath for 5 to 10 minutes as you envision yourself in your favorite soothing environment. Calm your mind and let your bowels follow suit.
6. Natural Calm–If you really feel you just need a little help, try a teaspoon of Natural Calm before you go to bed. Calm is an all natural Magnesium supplement that comes in a powder form and tastes great. Add some warm water to it to create a fizzy tasty (my favorite flavor is the raspberry lemon) beverage before bedtime, it works like magic every time.