Celebrate Heart Health Month & Valentine’s Day with these Delicious Foods & Smoothies
In celebration of Heart Health Month this February, incorporate foods that are good for the heart, such as:
• Soy, which is low in saturated fat and cholesterol-free
• Cocoa (the darker the better) is high in flavanols, which are potent antioxidants that are beneficial for the heart
• Strawberries are shaped like the heart and also have antioxidants and vitamin C, which keeps our ticker strong
• Cherries can help decrease the severity of cardiovascular disease and are great after exercise for a post-recovery treat
• Bananas are high in potassium, B6 and fiber—all good for our heart and blood sugar
Here are some of my favorite smoothie recipes using Svelte organic soy protein shakes and my favorite mix ins:
Chocolate Covered Cherry:
Combine 1-11 oz. Chocolate Svelte with ice, 6-8 organic frozen cherries, a small tsp. of almond extract and 1 tsp. cacao nibs or dark chocolate shavings in a blender. Whip up to a frothy, foamy consistency and serve. Makes 1 serving; approx. 250 calories.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
Combine 11 oz. Chocolate Svelte with ice, a ½ cup of fresh or frozen organic strawberries and a tsp. of cocoa powder. Blend until smooth, pour into a beautiful glass and serve with one chocolate covered strawberry on the rim. Makes one serving; approx. 215 calories without the chocolate-covered strawberries and 275 calories with strawberries.
Pour 1-11 oz. Vanilla Svelte with a ½ cup of ice, ½ a frozen banana and 1 tsp. of chocolate syrup into a blender. Serve with a squirt of whip cream, a few chopped peanuts or toasted coconut sprinkled over the whip cream and a cherry on top! Makes one serving; approx. 260 calories without toppings and 320 calories with toppings.
Bonus Love Smoothie!
Blend 1 cup of fresh or frozen watermelon cubes with ice and 1-15.9oz. French Vanilla Svelte. Add an optional sprinkle of spicy pepita seeds or a dash of cayenne pepper.
Watermelon is juicy and very light (mostly water), so you won’t feel weighed down or bloated after your Svelte Watermelon Smoothie. This pink-themed smoothie will offer you a tasty treat with just a touch of kick for Valentine’s Day!