Beauty Is What You Make It
It’s important in today’s society to find our inner beauty and let it truly shine. I’m actually so happy to see how things have changed over the years and how the landscape of beauty is varied and much more diverse than it’s ever been. On the other hand, there are many images bombarding us of what seems like the perfect life or most beautiful person or meal or outfit. It can be hard not to compare ourselves to others or lose sight of what makes us unique and beautiful for who we are.
I’ve relied on my yoga practice for years to keep me grounded and to help me find a way to stay centered, and to me, that is beautiful. I think smiles are beautiful, babies, my son, flowers, nature, friends, family, art, music and confidence. I love seeing beautiful athletes perform at their top level. I love seeing a chef create an incredible meal, or Instagram foodies post photos of creations they’ve made in the kitchen. When I see a stylish woman or man walking down the streets of NYC, I think it’s beautiful. I also find it beautiful when I see an elderly person’s eyes light up when my three year old rides his scooter by them or stops to say hello. I try and find beauty in every moment as often as I can. And yet, it’s not always easy to see all of the beauty that surrounds us, especially if we’re not feeling very beautiful ourselves.
My body has been my instrument for years, so I’ve worked hard to keep it tuned and in top gear. Now that I’m pregnant with twins, I have to embrace an entirely new beauty in my body. I have more curves, my belly is huge, my breasts are bigger than ever and my hips are expanding to support the little boys growing inside of me. There’s moments when I’m teaching a class or trying to do something that usually comes so easy to me; and now my big belly gets in the way. I get frustrated or upset at myself for not having the same stamina that I used to. It’s in these moments that I have to stop and change my perspective and think about the beautiful lives growing inside or me, or think about how amazing it is that my body can support two little boys!
So what are we to do on days when we don’t feel so pretty inside?
- Move your body, in any way shape or form. I always always feel better and more beautiful if I’m moving my body in some way. Obviously yoga is one of my favorite exercises; but cycling also feels good, dancing, running around the playground with Timothy. Anything you can do to add some movement to your life helps you truly appreciate what your body can do for you and helps you live in your body in a positive way.
- Play your favorite tunes. Music automatically lifts our spirits and helps us feel beautiful inside and out. Music has always been an integral part of my family and I carry on the tradition with my son and babies inside. Music makes the soul feel alive.
- Meditate and get closer to yourself. When you sit still for a few moments you can connect to your own breath and life force. Only you can breath for yourself, it’s a very empowering feeling. You also quiet the mind enough to feel the inner freedom and peace we all have inside.
- Go look in the mirror and smile at yourself. I know it may feel awkward at first, but doing so, will make you feel better and maybe bust out laughing!
- Hang out with people who tell you your beautiful! When you surround yourself with positive friends and people who love you for who you are, you will automatically feel beautiful inside and out.
- Go spend some time in nature. I always feel amazing when I’m outside at the beach, in the mountains, or even just Central Park. Nature truly is beautiful in an organic way and it rubs off on us and helps us feel beautiful and connected to something bigger.
These are just a few suggestions that I hope help. I am honored to be a part of Lycored’s #rethinkbeautiful campaign. Check out the “Beauty is What You Make It” video I did for Lycored and let it also be a reminder that EVERYONE is beautiful in their own way. It’s important every day to remind yourself that you have an inner beauty that is only yours. When you embrace every single aspect of yourself and let your own individuality shine through, you will help others do the same too. Click here to see the full Lycored video with myself and other influencers sharing their ideas on what beauty means to them as well. Or check out the video now below!